Other recent news & articles

British Passport holder are now barred from entering America
British tourists travelling to the US could be refused entry due to a new rule.

People going to America must now have an e-Passport to enter the country using the Visa Waiver Programme.

The changes were brought in last month in the wake of the Paris terrorist attacks. But the new level of security could ruin thousands of people's holiday plans this summer.

The system actually changed on April 1 but the message has taken a while to filter through. This has resulted in unhappy tourists turning up at airports unaware of the new law.

Vic Ryan, from Lincoln, was just one of the British tourists who had his holiday plans wrecked after booking a trip to Florida through Thomson.
He only found out that he wouldn't be able to fly with his family when he turned up at the airport. The disgruntled tourist then wrote a message on Facebook warning other travellers.

He said: “We saved long and hard for this holiday and filled in all the necessary online forms only to turn up at the check-in desk to be advised that I would not be allowed to travel.

“I did not have a biometric passport whilst the rest of our family had them. Despite calls to the USA from the lady on check-in they would not permit travel.

“This is a change that came into force on the April 1, 2016, which nobody, including Thomson, seemed to be aware of until they were confronted with it on the day it came into force.”
E-passports came in on October 2006 and we suggest checking if yours contains a chip before booking a holiday to the States.

The advice given on YouGov says: "Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

"The Visa Waiver Programme VWP allows most British Citizen passport holders to visit the US for up to 90 days.

"All travellers wishing to enter the US under the VWP now need to hold a passport with an integrated chip (an ePassport). Your passport is an ePassport if it carries this internationally recognised symbol on the front cover."

Source: Dailystar


No comments added yet