SINGAPORE - TripAdvisor announced its Travellers' Choice awards for Landmarks. This year's awards honour more than 700 landmarks worldwide including lists for Asia, Africa, Caribbean, Europe, South America, the South Pacific, the U.K., and the U.S. The annual awards are based on the millions of valuable reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travellers across the globe. Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for landmarks worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.
Angkor Wat in Cambodia topped the world list, followed by Machu Picchu in Peru and India's Taj Mahal. Southeast Asia made up six of the top ten spots on the Asia list. Travellers' Choice Landmarks also honour the top ten landmarks in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore, with Temple of the Reclining Buddha (Wat Pho), Petronas Twin Towers, Borobudur Temple and the Singapore Flyer ranked top landmark in each country respectively.
"The Travellers' Choice Landmarks highlight some of the world's most iconic, must-see attractions that have won over the TripAdvisor community," said Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer for TripAdvisor. "Travellers can experience colourful history and culture at these award-winning sights."
Top 10 Travellers' Choice Landmarks World
1. Angkor Wat - Siem Reap, Cambodia
2. Machu Picchu - Machu Picchu, Peru
3. Taj Mahal - Agra, India
4. Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5. Basilica of the Sagrada Familia - Barcelona, Spain
6. St. Peter's Basilica - Vatican City, Italy
7. Milan Cathedral (Duomo) - Milan, Italy
8. Alcatraz - San Francisco, USA
9. Corcovado - Cristo Redentor - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
10. Golden Gate Bridge - San Francisco, USA
- See more at: http://www.traveldailynews.com/news/article/66443/tripadvisor-shows-off-the-world-s#.dpuf
No comments added yet